In this week’s top stories: Google’s promised “image obstruction removal’ feature for Google Photos is still unreleased, Google announces the first Chrome OS tablet, and Google launches a developer preview for Wear OS.
Everyone can use an Echo Dot: Just $50!
Also, Google has made an announcement for the first ever Chrome OS tablet. The Acer Chromebook Tab 10 is a new form factor for Chrome OS going directly after the K-12 market. And Google has launched a developer preview for Wear OS. Android P for smartwatches introduces features announced for phones and tablets, a dark UI system theme, and smart battery saving features.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
- Hey Google, what happened to the Pixel’s ‘image obstruction removal’ feature?
- OnePlus 6 confirmed to have a notch, Carl Pei explains why Android phones still have ‘chins’
- Feature Request: Google, can we bring back wireless charging on the Pixel 3?
- Alleged OnePlus 6 image shows headphone jack, rear fingerprint sensor, wooden back
- Android Oreo rolling out to the Galaxy Note 8 and LG V30 on AT&T
- Unlocked Galaxy S8 & Note 8 devices to get Android Oreo in ‘2-3 weeks’ as Samsung explains delay from carrier models
- ARCore 1.1 hints at more supported devices, including Nexus 6P, Galaxy S9 [APK Insight]
- Moto G6 renders leak as specifications are seemingly confirmed w/ Snapdragon 450, 18:9 display, dual-camera
- Google testing new Pixel Launcher search bar for future ‘2018’ devices
- Huawei’s Porsche Design Mate RS packs 512GB of storage, in-display fingerprint sensor, and ditches the notch
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S goes official w/ Snapdragon 845, Qi charging, and improved dual-camera
- Google debuts Chrome OS tablets to take on the iPad w/ $329 Acer Chromebook Tab 10
- Wear OS developer preview brings Android P, dark theme, and smart battery saving features
- Google quietly revamps Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra packaging to match Pixel 2
- Google Home’s multi-room audio now works over Bluetooth w/ new group speaker pairing
- Samsung’s Gear S2 gets updated w/ refreshed UI and Gear Sport fitness features
- What is the biggest upside of a Chromebook tablet for you? [Poll]
- Google Duo 31 rolling out with initial support for Google Account linking
- Google Tasks redesign and overhaul could be inbound, new logo surfaces
- YouTube’s dynamic player for square & vertical video begins rolling out on Android
- Google Assistant gains the ability to add a phone number to help with tasks
- YouTube for Android testing compact notifications w/ video thumbnail previews
- Add the Pixel 2’s Active Edge squeeze function to your Android phone with ‘SideSqueeze’
- Google Play Movies & TV now sends you to apps where content is available to stream
- Gboard 7.1 preps new emoji, handwriting settings, GIF making, and more [APK Insight]
- Google Assistant picks up native support for controlling Philips Hue scenes
- Google shutting down goo.gl URL shortener next year, existing links will keep working
- Oracle wins appeal as Google possibly liable for billions over Java usage in Android
- Chrome OS 67 shows off an Android P-like quick settings as Google tests P for Chromebooks
- Google acquires GIF platform, keyboard Tenor to improve image search, Gboard, & more
- Report: Google leading push for open wireless spectrum that is coming as soon as this year
- Google’s Hire recruiting tool gains smart search to match past candidates for new jobs