In this week’s top stories: the Google Pixel 4 is spotted on the London Underground, Google Fi takes a steep discount off the Pixel 3, Google intends to kill the AdSense app on Android and iOS, and more.
The Google Pixel 4 is once again the center of our attention this week, as an eagle-eyed reader riding the Tube in London snagged a pic of the phone in the wild. In it, we spotted a new style of case on the phone, which precisely outlines the five sensors in the Pixel 4’s camera bump.
Google Pixel devices have a tendency to be spotted ahead of time on public transport. Last year’s famous example was the Pixel 3 XL in Canada, which revealed the very sizable notch for the first time. Meanwhile, the original Pixel was leaked at a restaurant in 2016.
Last week, the Google Store offered select customers $300 off discount codes for the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. This week, Google Fi is matching that discount on all Pixel 3 models for a limited time. As of Saturday morning, the sale is still ongoing.
The Google Fi store does not specify an end date, just that the “offer is valid while supplies last or while the promotion is live.” However, there is a limit of one per person. At $499, the 64GB Pixel 3 is notably only $100 more than the Pixel 3a.
Google AdSense is apparently getting a change to its user experience on mobile devices later this year, as the AdSense app for Android and iOS is being retired. In its place, AdSense will offer a web app, which, admittedly, makes more sense for a primarily web-centric service.
This shutdown of AdSense for Android and iOS will take place over the “coming months.” An exact timeframe hasn’t been specified, but it sounds like existing installs will stop working after they are removed from app stores “by the end of 2019.” “Further announcements” are coming throughout the rest of the year.
While the long-term future for updates to Huawei phones may still be undecided, the near-term is looking bright. Huawei’s latest update, EMUI 9.1, has reached beta stage for a significant number of Huawei and Honor phones alike, with another batch arriving just this week.
It’s worth noting that this is the EMUI 9.1 beta, the full release should be later this month and should be available to download at some point in the coming days (via GizChina).
As of the latest Google app, Assistant Ambient Mode is still in development, but this is our first look. At the very least, Ambient Mode is a much-needed upgrade to the Pixel Stand experience, which is currently quite basic. Much of the interface we enabled works great when pitched on a stand and viewed from afar. However, Google would also benefit from not limiting this capability to Pixel devices and requiring wireless charging (versus just a cable).
The rest of this week’s top stories follow:
- Xiaomi Mi A3 offers up Android One, triple cameras, in-display fingerprint, €249
- This could be our first look at an Android-powered feature phone from Nokia
- Google removes seven major stalkerware apps from the Play Store
- OxygenOS 9.5.10 for OnePlus 7 Pro rolling out as major hotfix for 9.5.9 OTA
- AirTV Mini packs 4K HDR Android TV into a $79 streaming dongle
- Asus ROG Phone 2 hands-on images leak showing 120Hz display, no notch, more
Android Q |
- Here are the 65 new emoji coming with Android Q [Gallery]
- Android Q bringing Google Translate to Recents view in Pixel Launcher [Video]
Apps & Updates |
- Gboard 8.5 preps Assistant integration, adds dark theme for settings, kills GIF camera [APK Insight]
- Android Auto app disappearing from app drawer for some, here’s why
- How to use Google Assistant on a Samsung Galaxy Watch
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 renders show docking stylus, keyboard accessory
- [Update: Note 8 too] Samsung Galaxy Note 9 update now rolling out w/ July 2019 patch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 reportedly won’t have new Snapdragon 855 Plus chip
- Latest Samsung Galaxy Watch update improves alarms and swim tracking
- Galaxy Note 10: Everything we know about Samsung’s new superphone [Video]
Smart Home |
- Google Nest Hub: How does the Amazon Echo Show 5 compare? [Video]
- Google Assistant currently can’t connect to Philips Hue lights, fix is in the works
- Google homescreen redesign rolling out to Lenovo Smart Displays
- Xiaomi Mi Band 4: The best value Google Fit companion gets even better [Video]
- Movado Connect 2.0 Wear OS watch spotted w/ 1 GB RAM, possible smaller size
- Mobvoi TicWatch C2, E2, S2 update promises lag fixes and app upgrades
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.