It’s September 30th and while there’s no formal in-person Made by Google event this year, the time for the Launch Night In livestream has finally arrived. 9to5Google’s Google Event Live Blog + News Hub will be updated regularly throughout the day with the latest announcements from Google. The event kicks off at 11 am PT/2 PM ET, so read on for quick links to our roundup coverage over the last few weeks, tweets from the ground (our homes), and all the latest news as it develops…
First of all, if you haven’t been following along with all our roundup coverage over the last few weeks, there’s plenty of required reading to be had there. Here’s what we know about today:
How to stream Launch Night In
TL;DR the Made by Google YouTube channel will stream the entire event live, and the announcements start at 11 am PT/2 PM ET. Google is also streaming the event on the Launch Night In website.
More details & embedded player:
Official announcements + details
Google Pixel 5 and 4a (5G)
- Google Pixel 4a 5G officially launches w/ 5G connectivity, $499 price
- Google announces Pixel 5 with wide-angle lens, 8GB RAM, and 4,000mAh battery
- Pixel 5 and 4a 5G come with free Stadia Pro, YouTube Premium, storage, and Play Points
- Pixel 5 & 4a 5G camera samples show off Night Sight improvements, ultrawide, more [Gallery]
- Here are the official Pixel 5 wallpapers [Download]
- Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G will be able to watch Netflix in HDR
- Google Store trade-in offers up to $365 for Pixel 4 owners switching to Pixel 5
- Google Pixel 5 uses a hole in the aluminum and a ‘bio-resin’ to enable wireless charging
- Pixel 5’s new ‘Hold for Me’ uses Google Duplex to distinguish between recorded and live humans
- Google Pixel 5 won’t ship in the US until October 29
- Here are the 70% recycled official Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 cases [Gallery]
- Verizon’s ‘Pixel 4a 5G UW’ costs $599 and has exclusive white color
Google Nest Audio
Google Chromecast with Google TV
- Chromecast with Google TV is available today for $49 with a remote, Android TV OS
- Unboxing and hands-on w/ Google’s new Chromecast and Launch Night In kit [Video]
- Stadia won’t be on Google Chromecast at launch, but it’s coming in the first half of 2021
- Google’s new Chromecast is built using recycled plastic, with no black model as a result
- Android TV as you know it today will be replaced by Google TV over the next two years
- ‘Google TV’ app integrates your streaming services and a watchlist, will replace Play Movies
- Chromecast with Google TV comes with color-matching AAA batteries
- Google TV comes with a slick ‘apps-only’ mode that reduces homescreen clutter
- Google will sell a ‘Power + Ethernet’ adapter for its new Android TV-powered Chromecast
- Everything you need to know about Google’s new Chromecast and where to buy it
- Google Store now sells discounted Nest hardware ‘packages’
- Google Photos rolling out redesigned editor on Android starting today
And more to come! Check out the homepage and the live blog for the latest…
Live Blog (Reload for continuous updates…)
— Google’s Launch Night In event is today! We’re definitely sad not to be in person, but there’s something nice about covering this from home. I mean, there aren’t that many surprises to look for, right?
— We know Google’s announcing at least four products today, for those that haven’t been following along: a better version of the Pixel 4a (or worse version of the Pixel 5?) called the Pixel 4a 5G, a Pixel 5 (with 5G, of course), a new Chromecast with Google TV (it’s back!), and a new Nest Audio speaker.
— Last minute Google Pixel 4a (5G) and Pixel 5 leaks. They show us nothing new.
— You may have missed this over night. The Google Store in Canada briefly put up an advertisement for the new Chromecast with a Netflix promotion. Google gonna Google.
— Nikkei doesn’t have the greatest of expectations for the new Google phones in terms of units shipped. That doesn’t mean they’re going to be bad phones though!
— The Launch Night In page has a countdown and there’s some fun and smooth jazz playing. You can even play along on your keyboard. Fun times in lieu of an actual in person event!
— We all got goodie boxes ahead of the event. They included a mug, Google socks, a candle, some candy, etc. It all is meant to fit the movie night theme. My wife tells me I’m not allowed to wear the Google socks again after today, so that’s a bummer.
— 20ish minutes to go!
— IDC just dropped the latest Pixel numbers ahead of the event. They estimate almost 19 million Pixels have shipped in sum since launch.
— Under 10 minutes!
— Andddddd Evan Blass just tweeted out a bunch more official imagery.
— Rick is getting in on the sock photo game!
— We’re live. This little Google event is getting kicked off with Rick talking about COVID.
— Google just showed all the products they’re announcing today. So they’re not waiting to build up any excitement for any of these things.
— Google TV is official!
— Google just announced the new Chromecast
— The new Chromecast is $49 and it’ll be available today! Three colors.
— There are 5 new Nest Audio colors. $99. Available today.
— Getting a nice jam session with the new Nest Audio.
— Time for phones. Google just announced Pixel 4a (5G) and Pixel 5. Notably, they say that the new Google Pixel 4a is selling faster than the Google Pixel 3a did last year.
— Nothing all too surprising here. A new camera/portrait mode called Portrait Light. Three new stabilization modes. There’s also a Cinematic Pan mode with sweeping Hollywood effects. Extreme battery saver lets you decide which essential apps to keep on while pausing everything else.
— Interestingly, Google ditched the Pixel Neural Core with the Pixel 5 it seems.
— Extreme battery saver and Hold for Me are coming to older generation Pixels.
— Stadia… is a thing. According to this video.
— That’s a wrap. Rick is thanking us. All the Google Store stuff is live!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.