Star Wars Stories May 4
Star Wars Stories May 4, 2021
Star Wars Day is upon us, and to celebrate, Google has just released a new Easter egg in Search. If you hit the right page, you’ll be greeted with familiar characters and more.
Star Wars Stories May 3, 2021
Star Wars Stories November 19, 2019
Latest ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ poster makes a great Pixel wallpaper
The latest installment in the Star Wars franchise is set to hit theaters in almost exactly a month and, in preparation, trailers and posters are hitting the web. This afternoon, the latest poster for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has been released after some slight tweaks and it makes a killer wallpaper for Pixel devices.
Star Wars Stories November 18, 2019
The conclusion of the latest Star Wars trilogy is set to hit theaters in just a few weeks and, along with it, Samsung has a new offer. Starting in December, a special edition Galaxy Note 10+ bundle will be available with a Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker theme.
Star Wars Stories December 18, 2017
OnePlus recently debuted the OnePlus 5T ‘Star Wars’ edition in India and select markets around the globe and, for good reason, fans are fascinated by it. Now, it’s been discovered that OnePlus has hidden a clever little Easter Egg in the box with the phone.
Star Wars Stories December 14, 2017
Star Wars is hitting theaters across the tonight (or tomorrow, officially), and if you’re anything like me, you waited a bit too long to buy your tickets and you’re stuck seeing it in the very front row on the far right side. Well, hopefully these Star Wars wallpapers pulled from the special edition OnePlus 5T will cheer you up before you severely strain your neck in the name of not waiting another 24 hours…
Star Wars Stories December 11, 2017
OnePlus is giving away 10,000 tickets for ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ in India
Star Wars Stories December 6, 2017
The limited edition ‘Star Wars’ OnePlus 5T is coming to three countries in Europe
Star Wars Stories December 4, 2017
It’s common for smartphone OEMs to partner up with popular movies or events to make a special edition device, but OnePlus is going for the big one with its first partnership of the sort. Now, the company has officially announced a deal with Lucasfilm for a limited edition Star Wars OnePlus 5T.
Star Wars Stories May 4, 2017
Star Wars Stories December 9, 2016
PSA: Google just added ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ stickers to Allo
If you actually use Google’s new messaging app Allo, then you’re probably on the technologically-savvy side. And if you’re on the technologically-savvy side, you likely have at least one bone in your body that appreciates Star Wars. So I guess this new mashup between Allo and the forthcoming Rogue One: A Star Wars Story film makes sense. Google seems to think so.
Star Wars Stories June 16, 2016
Magic Leap isn’t part of Google, but Google put enough money — more than $500 million — into the startup early on that it might not be around if not for the help of the Mountain View firm. So far, Magic Leap has been amazingly secretive in its progress toward developing the next generation of augmented reality and mixed reality — so much so that almost any glimpse into the company’s projects is notable.
Today, the company has announced that it is working with LucasFilm and ILMxLAB to build immersive Star Wars experiences based on its tech…
Star Wars Stories March 30, 2016
Towards the end of last year, a company called AC Worldwide launched a promising Kickstarter project. Essentially, these were fully licensed, to scale Star Wars Bluetooth speakers in the shape of C-3Po and Stormtrooper heads. Not long after the speaker project launched, an investor came in and offered the company all the money they needed to get the speakers to market. Now they’re here, and I just had to try them out…
Star Wars Stories December 16, 2015
John Boyega talks Star Wars: The Force Awakens in interview with Google
If you opted into the Star Wars experience, Google Calendar has reminded you that today is the first showing of the new movie. To hold you over until the full release, Google has released an interview today with Star Wars actor John Boyega as part of their Talks at Google series.
Turn your phone in to a lightsaber with this awesome Google Chrome web-game
As we know, Google has gone all out Star Wars this year; theming Chrome, Gmail, YouTube and other services with the movie’s imagery as well as launching custom Star Wars Cardboard headsets. With the Star Wars showings now kicking off around the globe, Google has saved the best until last. ‘Lightsaber Escape’ is the company’s latest Chrome Experiment, and ties in a number of modern browser-based technologies to make your smartphone and Chrome desktop browser work together.
Simply head on over to g.co/lightsaber and follow the instructions on screen. It’ll ask you to visit a specific web address on your smartphone. Once you’ve done that, the phone and desktop browsers talk to each other, and ask you to hold your phone vertically to calibrate it. Once calibrated, your phone is the handle of the lightsaber, while the ‘blade’ appears on screen and responds to your movements. The aim: Get out of the Star Destroyer and kill lots of Stormtroopers. It’s pretty awesome.
Google’s team developed the game in collaboration with Disney, Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic, and was built using WebGL for high resolution 3D graphics, while using WebRTC and WebSockets for fast, accurate and responsive communication between the mobile and desktop browsers. This is one of just many Star Wars experiences launched by Google. If you have a Cardboard set of any kind, you can also head on over to Google.com/starwars and explore Jakku Spy using your headset.
Star Wars Stories December 15, 2015
Facebook video sharing has been emerging over the past year as a serious competitor to YouTube. Last year, a report showed that more and more Facebook pages were uploading videos directly to the social network itself as opposed to uploading to YouTube and sharing the link. Despite these reports, however, YouTube views are staying strong this holiday season for one of the biggest cultural trends of the year: Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Want to avoid all Star Wars: The Force Awakens spoilers? There’s a Chrome extension for that…
The first screenings of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will take place from tomorrow night in certain parts of the world. If, like me, you can’t go to see it this week you’re going to have a task on your hands trying to avoid spoilers. Once screenings have taken place, the internet will be full of comments and reviews of the most exciting movie to hit theaters this millennium. Thankfully, there’s a Chrome browser extension to which should make it easier to avoid reading them.
Star Wars Spoiler Blocker helps you avoid spoilers by detecting content on page and blurring it out with a full-screen graphic. It’s currently in version 1.0, and was originally released at the end of last month. But with this week being Star Wars week, we felt it right to bring it to your attention before it’s too late.
If you have any burning questions like ‘Does Luke Skywalker turn evil?’, ‘Will the Ewoks make an appearance?’ or ‘Does Princess Leia still have the gold bikini?’, you’ll be able to wait until you see the movie for yourself to find out. As with virtually every extension, the Star Wars Spoiler Blocker is free to install on your browser.
Star Wars Stories December 11, 2015
Update: To be out of stock they appear.
Update 2: The Cardboard viewers are back in the store. I was able to get one as of 12PM PST.
As we come to the weekend before Star Wars: The Force Awakens arrives, the movie tie-ins are hitting even harder. The Google Store is giving away free Star Wars-themed Cardboard viewers to anybody who wants one…
Star Wars Stories December 10, 2015
Update: You can order the Star Wars editions of the DROID Turbo 2 from Verizon’s Motor Maker page from today.
With the upcoming premiere of the first Star Wars movie since the 90’s abominations we can’t mention by name, every brand on the planet is seemingly teaming up with Disney to produce their own Star Wars themed merchandise. Whether it’s LEGO, lampshades or mineral water, you can now get it with Star Wars branding all over it. Episode VII is launching in theaters next week, and Verizon and Motorola are the latest companies to jump on the bandwagon…
Star Wars Stories December 1, 2015
PSA: Verizon customers can get a free Star Wars-themed Cardboard viewer on Wednesday in stores
Starting tomorrow, Verizon carrier stores will be offering a free Star Wars-themed Google Cardboard viewer. Verizon’s page mentions that the offer is only available to Verizon customers, but whether that mean subscribers or just anybody shopping in the store is unclear.
This is part of a larger promotional campaign between the carrier, Google, and Disney. The viewers are meant to be used to watch the Star Wars virtual reality experience that is coming out on the same day. According to Lucasfilm, the experience will tie directly into the beginning of The Force Awakens. If you already have a Cardboard viewer, be sure to download the Star Wars Android and iOS app to watch the VR video.
Four versions of the viewers are up for grabs, with a BB-8, R2D2, Kylo Ren, and Stormtropper design on the front and Verizon branding on the side. Supplies are limited and expect Star Wars fans to be the first to try and get what will certainly end up being a collectible item. Do comment below if you are successful in getting one.
Star Wars Stories November 24, 2015
Google’s partnership with Lucasfilm and Disney to promote the new Star Wars movie has already seen everything from themed backgrounds in Gmail to an X-Wing marking your position in Google Maps, but the company is not done yet.
Searching for ‘a long time ago in a galaxy far far away’ leads to a great Easter egg, where the results are shown Star Wars intro style. It’s not just a dumb graphic, it’s the real search results, and each is clickable.
Star Wars Stories November 23, 2015
Google has gone all out and partnered with Lucasfilm and Disney to celebrate the upcoming Star Wars movie. Upon choosing the light or the dark side of the Force, users will begin to see their Google apps and services on the web, Android, and iOS become customized to reflect their pick…
Star Wars Stories November 10, 2015
Thanks to the impending arrival of Star Wars: Episode VII, one of this year’s most talked-about console games is Battlefront, which is undoubtedly one of the best (if not THE best) Star Wars games of all time. And now, it has its own official mobile companion app on the Google Play Store. The Android app was just released and features a number of mini games that unlock various objects in the full Battlefront console title…
Star Wars Stories September 3, 2015
9to5Toys Lunch Break: Samsung Galaxy Gear $55, Sphero’s BB8 coming tomorrow for $150, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Daily Deals: Samsung Galaxy Gear Android Smart Watch (refurb) $55, Smallville Complete Series $85, more
Sphero’s BB8 Star Wars toy lands tomorrow for $150, and we all want it
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB (factory unlocked): $500 shipped (Reg. $1,000) | eBay
Pre-orders for the new Moto 360 (2nd gen) and Huawei Watch are now live on the Google Store
LG G Pad V410 AT&T GSM Unlocked 7-Inch 4G LTE 16GB Tablet: $80 shipped (Reg. $200) | eBay
SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD card for Android devices: $200 shipped (Reg. $220+)
LG G3 D850 32 GB unlocked new 32GB blue: $250 shipped (Reg. $400) | eBay
GoPro HERO4 Silver waterproof action camera: $319 shipped (Reg. $400)
Giveaway: $400 Belkin WeMo bundle including the new Lightify Starter Set, multiple winners
More new gear from today:
JBL’s Pulse 2 Bluetooth speaker takes its lightshow next level, previous gen on sale for $100 (Reg. $150)
- Cambond 10-ft MFi Apple-Certified Lightning Cable (multiple colors): $11 Prime shipped (Reg. $14)
- Games/Apps: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker $29, LEGO Star Wars Clone Wars & Deus Ex Ultimate $5 ea.
- Over-Ear Headphones: V-Moda Crossfade LP $90 (Reg. $125+), Parrot ZIK Bluetooth (refurb) $140 (Orig. $400)
- Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ mic & CAD Acousti-Shield $149 shipped ($244 value)
More deals still alive:
Twelve South iPad Air/mini cases: BookBook from $35 (Orig. $80), leather SurfacePad $35 (Reg. $70), more
Incase MacBook Backpacks 50% off in multiple colors w/ free shipping: Cargo $40 (Reg. $80), Staple $30 (Reg. $60)
- 9to5Toys Specials: Moto E & 1-Yr FreedomPop unlimited talk-and-text: $150 shipped (Reg. $120 + plan)
- Ringke Cases from $3 shipped: Galaxy S6/Edge, Nexus 6, iPhone 6/Plus, more in multiple colors/styles
- HP Chromebook 14″ 2.3GHz 16GB storage Chromebook (refurb): $200 shipped (Reg. $220+) | eBay
- You can score Nest’s 2nd generation Learning Thermostat for $199 if you move quickly
- Transistor iOS action-RPG gets its first price drop: $5 (Reg. $10)
- Kanto YU2 Desktop Mini Reference Monitor Speakers: $140 shipped (Reg. $180+)
- Grain Audio OEHP On-Ear Headphones: $149 Shipped (Orig. $199, CA Tax Only)
- Fashion: J. Crew Factory shorts $25, Timex Weekender Watch $14 Prime shipped, Toms Mens shoes $29
- Fitbit Charge HR Activity Tracker in multiple sizes/colors: $120 shipped (Reg. $150)
- Healthkit-supported Bluetooth Smart Bathroom scale with BMI, more: $49 Shipped
- Ringke iPhone 6/Plus Cases from $5 shipped in multiple colors/styles, more
- Harman Kardon Nova 2.0 Bluetooth Stereo Speaker System $150 shipped (Orig. $200)
- Home: Dyson AM07 tower fan $270, Philips Norelco men’s shaver $120, more
- D-Link PowerLine AV500 Mini Adapter Starter Kit: $20 shipped (Reg. $35+)
- Kindle First Books for September: The Prettiest One, Pale Queen Rising, Still Waters, more
- Brother All-in-One AirPrint Wireless InkJet Printer $50 shipped (Reg. $85+)
- Gift Cards up to 20% off: Sports Authority, Domino’s, Jiffy Lube, Steak ‘n Shake, more
- Western Digital 5TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive: $130 shipped (Orig. $200)
- GoPro HERO4 Silver waterproof action camera: $319 shipped (Reg. $400)
- Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem + Wireless Router: $90 shipped (~$109+ value), more
- Monitors: Acer 23″ $100 (Reg. $140), Dell 23.8″ UltraSharp w/ HDMI $210 (Reg. $240)
- Audio: JBL Micro Bluetooth speaker $28, V-MODA M-80 headphones $80 (Reg. up to $120)
- MicroSD cards: Silicon Power 64GB $20 (Orig. $36), PNY 128GB $51 (Orig. $80), more
- REI extra 20% off: Columbia Fleece Half-Zip $24, Marmot Down Jacket $104, more
- Hot Java Android Coding Bundle: 5 app development courses for $29 (Orig. $657)
- Free Xbox Live Gold Games for September: Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Battlestations Pacific, more
- Free PS Plus Games for September: Grow Home, Super Time Force Ultra, Twisted Metal, more
- Doxie Go Wi-Fi Scanner: $175 Shipped (Orig. $229, CA Tax Only)
New products & more:
Polaroid’s latest pocket-sized Snap cam instantly prints photos with no ink
Review: Tucker and Bloom’s East to West XL Messenger Bag goes big to handle all your gear
Amazon now offers money back to Prime members after their first Dash button purchase
- Hulu puts pressure on Netflix with new commercial-free subscription plan
- Sony’s new high-resolution headphones have a cringe-worthy name
- Neato details its new iOS/Android connected robotic smart vac
- EA announces upcoming Star Wars Battlefront beta, new gameplay modes and companion app
- Pandora celebrates its 10th anniversary by nixing ads for all listeners
- Nintendo brings new smaller 3DS to North America, Zelda Tri Force 3DS, opens digital store on Amazon
- Leica partners w/ an Italian auto designer to create a marvelous set of limited edition binoculars
- Microsoft details new Xbox One Elite Bundle w/ upgraded SSD, new special edition controller
- Release dates/special editions announced for Uncharted 4 & Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Set the clock back to 1875 with the new Tesla Watch from ThinkGeek
- Netflix September Preview: The Walking Dead Season 5, Gotham Season 1, and more
- SmartHalo adds simple smartphone-connected navigation to your bike’s handlebars
- Gears of War creator reveals the first gameplay footage for his new gravity-defying FPS
Star Wars Stories April 8, 2015
Star Wars Stories April 6, 2015
Disney announced today that the entire Star Wars saga will finally be available for digital HD download later this week, marking the first time ever that the films have been offered in this format. As confirmed in the TV spot above and the Google Play tweet below, the entire collection will be available to purchase from the Google Play Store this Friday, with pre-orders already up and running for $89.99.
Star Wars Stories July 12, 2013
Rovio teases July 15th announcement for brand new Angry Birds Star Wars game
Last November, Rovio introduced a new Angry Birds Star Wars game that brought iconic Star Wars locations and characters from the movies into the Angry Birds gameplay universe. Today the developer is teasing what looks to be an entirely new Star Wars themed Angry Birds game. While Rovio’s initial tweet only mentioned a “Big new game announcement” coming this Monday, it later confirmed on its blog that the announcement will be for “a brand new game” with “the biggest character line-up ever, awesome new powers, and maybe even a few surprises!”
On top of the teaser, Rovio is also making Angry Birds Star Wars available for free today for a limited time.
We don’t get any other details, but Rovio did include the image above hinting the game might be inspired by Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace:
Star Wars Stories November 8, 2012
A few notable apps either launched or announced headlining news today, so 9to5Google gathered the most noteworthy ones in a roundup below. Our sister website, 9to5Mac, publishes app roundups on a daily basis, and now we attempt to do the same here for the most important changes happening in the Google Play store. We will also continually update this list throughout the day, so keep checking back for more details.
1. Angry Birds Star Wars The highly-anticipated (and much-teased) Angry Birds Star Wars is now available in Google Play (video atop). Developer Rovio has long been working with the recently Disney-acquired LucasArts to bulk its popular app lineup with a Star Wars-themed iteration of Angry Birds that brings new creative and play experiences to the franchise.
The latest Rovio title ditches the traditional exploding/flinging Angry Birds for a slew of new bird characters each wielding a unique weapon. The Han Solo bird, for instance, halts enemies with a three-shot space gun. The game also features iconic Star Wars locations, 80 immersive levels, “hours and hours” of gameplay, fresh mechanics, and new level-up capabilities for birds.
Check it out:
Angry Birds Star Wars also landed on the Mac, iOS, Amazon Kindle Fire, and Windows 8 platforms today.
More apps below.
Star Wars Stories February 2, 2012
There are two new reports today regarding the upcoming availability of the sleek Droid 4. Droid-Life, who is usually on-par, reported that Verizon Wireless’s latest QWERTY offering will launch for $199 on two-year contract and $549 full price, which has been confirmed in Verizon’s system (seen in the screenshot below). This certainly makes for one of the cheapest LTE offerings out there. Droid-Life also posted a second screenshot of Verizon’s internal system that reveals the Droid 4 will launch on Feb. 10 in all markets. Why Feb. 10, you may ask? It is the same day Star Wars in 3D hits theaters. As a reminder, the Droid 4 boasts a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 4-inch qHD display, 1GB of RAM, and dual-cameras. We will keep you updated as Verizon goes official with its launch date.